Well, I *think* Rainey is well on the way to finally being potty trained. I mean, she's not 100% by any means, but she hasn't worn a diaper except to sleep in since Sunday. This is very good news, especially considering she will be 3 in two months.
I was just adamant about not pushing her to use the potty until she was ready. When Carlisle was 2 years 5 months old we moved in across the street from our pediatrician whose son was a month younger than Carlisle. Molly (our pedi) decided she was ready for Matthew to use the potty and just took his diaper off and that was that. I decided that if Molly was doing it, I should probably do it too. So off came Carlisle's diaper. After several days of puddling on the floor she pretty much caught on. And after those first few days she NEVER had an accident away from the house (school, walmart etc..) But at home was a different story. It was over a year later until she stopped having "accidents" at home. She actually didn't stop until we went to Spain and after being away from home for over a month, I guess she finally got out of the habit.
I was convinced that the year of struggling with home accidents was pretty much to spite me for *making* her use the potty, and I swore that I wouldn't make Rainey. Of course I also thought that since Rainey is pretty much a prodigy ;) and since she really looks up to her potty using older sister, that she would be ready fairly early to potty train. Wrong. She has had basically no interest in the potty, actually pretty much disliked the potty and any suggestion that she should attempt to use it.
But Sunday morning she came in and told me she needed to go to the potty, she used it, put on panties and we haven't looked back.
So, I'm sure this post is of little interest to my friends and family who don't have children of potty training age. But for those that do - don't let other people (your mom, mother-in-law, best friend whose child potty trained at 18 months etc...) stress you out. It will happen.
boys
11 years ago