www.flickr.com
charlescopeland's items Go to charlescopeland's photostream

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Househunters and Sleepyheads


This isn't the best picture, but I took it to show Carlisle the two birds that have been checking out our new birdhouse. Carlisle came home from DeeDee and PopPop's house with this birdhouse for me on Mother's Day. She says she picked it out all by herself, but I don't believe her all of the time. I'm quite certain that if she alone chose a gift for me that it would be along the lines of a princess dress with matching glass slippers and crown. Anyway, Charles and I are up preparing for class and these crazy birds are obsessed with the new birdhouse. I suggested that they were husband and wife, because they look the same except one is blue and the other is brown. Charles informs me that the male is the blue one because male birds get to be the prettiest. Fortunately humans don't work the same way.

The birds are actually hysterical. They look just like people trying to decide on a new house. They keep sticking their heads in and out, then they fly off, decide they need another look, fly back, land a few feet away, check it out from the street (curb appeal is important you know). We think the husband likes it better than the wife. He's trying to convince her. However, the wife's instinct is correct this time (as is the case with people), because that birdhouse is just sitting on that post. Not attached to anything. One big gust of wind and they'll be a like trailer in a tornado. I guess if they decide to move in, as landlords, Charles and I will have a responsibility to try to attach it without disturbing them terribly. Anyone have any suggestions on doing that?

Oh, the sleepyhead part. The reason I had to take a picture of the birds is because both the girls are still asleep. No one jinx it, but both the girls have been sleeping until after 8 o'clock the last few days. I've had to get up to do school work, but it sure is nice to have a little bit of quiet in the morning before we get cranked up to full 3 1/2 and 19 month old speed. And please note the 1/2 after 3. Carlisle has proclaimed she is 3 1/2. Do not say she is 3. Apparently it is an insult.